Saturday, May 30, 2009

Frustrated?

Recently I have been thinking about a lot of stuff. I've been getting a little frustrated with believers around me who aren't acting very much like Christ. But then I have to remember that I am really not that much different from them. It is easier to cast judgment on immaturity in another than to recognize the Spirit of God at work within the other and thank God for the life of a brother or sister in Christ. As God takes each of His beloved children by the hand and loves on them no matter how spiritually mature or immature they may be, so I must regard my fellow in Christ. It is not nearly enough to simply care for another, but care must be lived out in every moment. I am beginning to think that if you do not make an effort to put others first in the simple and even mundane things of life, you will never get the permission to speak freely into another's life. I find it difficult to understand my feelings of frustration with a fellow believer and the knowledge that they are capable of so much more and should even be rebuked of selfish behavior unto godliness. My mom once wrote to me that I shouldn't be frustrated when people don't live up to my expectations. Though I may sincerely hope for others' spiritual growth and maturity, I should not be disappointed with their failure. For does not God also use great human failure to draw men closer unto Him and so break them of self-sufficiency in order that they may learn to trust Him more fully? In all this I look at myself and search through my own heart. In those areas I find it apparently difficult to obey God, it is so because I have not chosen to trust that He is fully able to provide for everything I need. I ponder deeper and discover apathy towards others and a heart filled with vain pride, selfishness, and conceit. Truly may abundant thanks be given unto God for working in and through my own failure to accomplish His work. May I never forget my need for Him and His desire for me.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Eckard said...

It's funny to read that from someone else. I'm pretty sure I wrote a very similar thing in February. And since then I have learned and am now perfect in the matter. haha Totally kidding. I am far from it. It helps when God is consistently showing me that my standards are not His and how I fall flat on my face everyday...I didn't actually used to believe that. And how it's not our job to change people and so many times we make it our role. Who do we think we are, God? Goodness. It's all about Him and His timing, not about us and what we think people should grasp and how we think it should be lived out in their lives. He's totally in control. I have to remind myself of that often, not just with others but in my own walk with God.

Be encouraged...and be thankful when He humbles you and reminds you of His holiness and our utter depravity. :) And thanks for sharing this.

Grace B. said...

That was exactly what I needed to read today. Thanks S.C. Dave!