Monday, May 25, 2009

Attitude

My football coach for my senior year had shirts for our team made that said, "It all starts with attitude." I've been thinking about this whole subject of my attitude towards circumstances or just life in general. Nobody likes someone who has a bad attitude and yet we want people to just handle it when we're in a bad mood. How does this build up the body of Christ? How does this display a life transformed by the power of Christ working in me? I declare that it does not.

To keep this simple I will simply describe all sorts of attitude under the generalized terms of "good" and "bad". When I think of someone who has a "good" attitude I often think of cheerfulness, positivity, joy, etc. People are naturally drawn to someone who is radiating encouragement. It is almost ridiculously funny how a simple change of attitude can mean the difference between a long and tiresome road trip that is filled with bickering and arguing to one that is enjoyable and fun (I write this thinking of the sixteen hour drive to southern California that my family will take down there tomorrow). A genuine "good" attitude is more than skin deep; it flows out of a loving heart that expresses itself by putting others first. Interesting how the Word of God speaks of love: "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Loves bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends" (I Corinthians 13.4-8a).

My past week has been filled with reconnecting with old friends and enjoying the company of missed relatives. I have been thinking about how the words that I say and the things that I do for other people affect them and I have come to the conclusion that people are of immense importance. Can I not give of myself so that others are encouraged and strengthened? It begins with the little things like taking out the trash, writing an encouraging note, or taking the time to stop and really listen to someone.

I must say that I certainly do not condemn one who has a "bad" attitude. I also realize that behind every "bad" attitude there is a reason that needs to be understood in order to truly care for someone who has a "bad" attitude. Having a "bad" attitude can be the result of a multitude of reasons: lack of sleep, headache, sickness, etc. These are all circumstances that weaken one's constitution and can make us more vulnerable to give in to temptation. Nonetheless, when it comes down to it, a "bad" attitude is always selfish and is a result of a focus on self instead of others. Even though circumstances may seemingly justify having a "bad" attitude, it is the love of Christ that compels me to glorify God in ALL circumstances: good and bad.

1 comment:

Jenna Kate James said...

David, I just wanted to say thank you. This was a very encouraging and challenging post. You word things well Dave; keep writing okay?? And thanks for being willing to get vulnerable brother. Miss you!