Saturday, October 18, 2008

The cost of discipleship

The speaker this last Friday for Special Emphasis was Rick Johnson. Rick is a missionary who works mostly in Tijuana but also in other places in Central and South America. He was also our speaker in chapel on Wednesday and Thursday. This man is truly a disciple of Jesus Christ! He challenged me in my walk with Christ, encouraged me to strive forward with diligence, and urged me to give everything to the Savior.

On Thursday Rick spoke of the gratefulness we, as Christians, should have for the free gift of salvation given us by God Almighty. He shared with us a passage in the gospel of Matthew about the ten lepers who were healed by Jesus. This passage tells us how only one of the ten who were healed came back to Jesus, fell at His feet, and thanked Him. How many of us Christians simply take the blessings that Christ gives us and then merrily go our way without thanking Him? I know I have done this a multitude of times. Why do we not run back to Jesus and thank Him for saving us? I know that I do not do this most of the time because I am exceedingly selfish and usually only think of myself and my own needs. The true disciple of Christ will constantly be on his face in utter worship and thankfulness. Oh that I might completely realize my utter worthlessness without Jesus. It is His work on the cross that has paid the penalty for MY sins. It is His rising from the dead that ensures I will also be raised again from death unto an eternal life with God. I must praise His name and pour out my gratitude without ceasing. It's all about Him!

On Friday Rick spoke about the true cost of being a disciple of Jesus. Being a disciple of Jesus means being willing to give up absolutely everything, including one's life, for Him. I have also heard it said: "Salvation costs us nothing, being a disciple costs us everything." There was literally a point in Jesus' ministry where he told the people following Him that if they could only follow Him if they were willing to give up everything in order to follow Him. The Bible records that many left Him at this time. It is so easy to get caught up in thinking that I only have to give some of myself to Him, but, in all reality, he wants it all! I have been bought with the blood of Christ and he owns me now. I am a slave of Christ and should not be surprised if I am treated as a slave. I am owned by a gracious and loving Master but I am still a slave. This slavery is not unto hardships that endure for though I will face numerous trials in this life, I have the promise of an eternal reward of everlasting life. The cost of faithfully following after Christ will cost me everything: my comfort, ambitions, dreams, family, and perhaps even my own life. The sacrifice, in and of itself, of these things that I hold dear is not what is good, for not everything I hold dear is intrinsically bad. Rather, it is a supreme focus on Jesus Christ that results in the giving up of everything else.

I have been examining my own heart and the cost of following after Christ has been steadily sinking in. I have always known that the life of a missionary requires a lot of sacrifice in giving up many of the comforts that I, as an American, enjoy and that missionary life is very difficult. I have never grasped the full meaning of this until I started to wonder what it would be like if and when I ended up on the mission field. The cost of giving up everything I now have to go live in another country where I will have little to none of the things I currently possess is extremely high. Or is it? God himself became man and died for my sins. Is there anything less that I could do than giving Him everything? My life is short. Will I lose my life for Him so that I may gain it in the end or will I seek gain in this life rather than for His kingdom? The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Oh, that I may never lose my focus on Him alone. He is my Captain. May I follow Him and give my life, my strength, my all for Him!

1 comment:

Grace B. said...

"This slavery is not unto hardships that endure for though I will face numerous trials in this life, I have the promise of an eternal reward of everlasting life." What a beautiful promise it is! Praise God for His unfailing love! Thanks for sharing your thoughts Santa Clarita David.