Saturday, July 18, 2009

Time for some Reckoning

"We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to noting, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin."
-Romans 6.6-7

It is a most arrogant thing to think that I can be victorious over sin by my own power, and yet this is what I do most every day. It is as if I doubt the very Word of God that it is not about me and my own strength to live a life of righteousness unto God, but it is "not I but Christ" and His life in me that allows me to live for Him. I get frustrated with myself when I fail to live up to His standard but this reveals my own ignorance, for I trusted in my own strength instead of leaning on His. Time and time again I beat my head in anger as I struggle to understand why it feels so good to sin and it is so very difficult to resist. Can it be that I have made my enemy more than he is? Has the mist of darkness clouded my vision and puffed up an insignificant enemy into a monstrous foe in my deluded eyes? For God has declared that all who believe are henceforth and forevermore DEAD TO SIN. Christ not only died FOR me on the cross, but I died WITH Him as well. My life is hidden with Christ in God (Colossians 3.3)! Christ's life is in me and sin has no more power over me.

"He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."
-Colossians 1.13-14

Long live the King!

For those who read this and wish to pray for me I humbly request that your prayers be those of Paul's for the Colossians in chapter 1.9-12.

"Grace to you and peace from God our Father" (Colossians 1.2b)

1 comment:

Jenna Kate James said...

David you are a great encrouagement to me. Praise God for the ways His Spirit is teaching you through the truth of His Word. Keep posting - I really appreciate it!