Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Christ's Work in Me

Lying in my bed the other night was a fairly normal night as I was thinking about different things and trying to quiet my mind so that I could fall asleep. I honestly do not even remember how I started on this line of thought, but suddenly I more fully realized my purpose of being. I have heard it said before that man's purpose is to glorify God above all else. Truly, this is indeed my purpose, but I have always wondered how that really plays out in my life. I know that God is the one who works in and through me and that anything good in me is not of myself but of Him. He is the producer of any good in my life and I only produce bad. This is a somewhat true statement. For surely (apart from God) I can produce nothing that is good but only evil, but what is totally incredible is the new nature that I am given at the moment of salvation. Now I can produce righteousness in my life, for I now have a divine nature at work within me. It had seemed to me that because God was the only one who could do good through my life, that I seemed to have no purpose because I could not do anything. However, it is, in fact, this state of "not doing" that most glorifies God, for when I surrender myself to His purposes for my life, only then can I glorify God. I have been freed from sin and have become a slave of righteousness.

This whole idea of righteousness is a difficult concept for my mind to wrap around. I believe this is partly due to my own inadequate understanding of the Scriptures but mostly to the mystery of righteousness seeing as it is totally contrary to my old nature. For my old nature is still at work within me and is fighting against my new nature that would pursue righteousness and shun evil. I now understand that for much of my life I have been feeding my old nature (either a little or a lot) because I did not understand this new nature within me and could not grasp what it was to walk in the Spirit. I confess that I still do not completely comprehend these, but that I at least know where I must look to find the answers - the Lord Jesus Christ who is the very Word of God.

I tried to change my sleep pattern recently so that I could get more out of every day. I ended up getting 6 hours of sleep throughout the first 24 hours and 3 1/2 hours in the next 24. I have decided that the problem was not that I was not getting enough out of each day, but that, in all reality, I can never get "enough" out of each day, and that I must make the most of the time that I have available (while getting enough sleep to stay healthy). I have recognized that I need to be devoting as much time as possible to prayer and God's Word. These are the most important and all other things are secondary; they are actually not even secondary, but should be insignificant compared to the priority that prayer and God's Word have over my life.

Two weeks ago I finished one of my electives called "Spiritual Disciplines from a Grace Perspective." This was an incredibly profitable class and I fully appreciated my teacher's (Rex Gutwein) perspective on the area of discipline in the Christian's life. This is definitely an area that is easy to fall into legalistic thinking and so deprive one's self of profitable discipline through self-imposed bondage. The sole grade for this class comes from taking upon a discipline for 5-7 days and keeping a journal about it. I have chosen to wake up early every morning in order to spend time in prayer. I wanted to get the most out of this experiment in discipline and so I resolved to choose a discipline that would build my prayer life and require me to deny myself by purposefully waking up early in the morning. I wish to discipline my thinking in regards to prayer and its utter importance in my walk as a believer. This is something that I believe is easily passed over in my time here at NTBI because we are spending so much time in studying the Bible. It is easy to forget the necessity of prayer in my life, but it is indeed a time with God to praise Him, request of Him, interceed on behalf of others, and even to just talk with Him about anything that I am going through in my life. Also, I have chosen to get up early for this prayer time and this is not an easy feat for me as I am not in any way whatsoever a morning person. This is something in which I will also be training my physical body and it's desire for more sleep.

Therefore, I now press on knowing full well that I will fail in this discipline as well as in anything else that I do. This is acceptable because only when I fall down to I learn how to get back up. The important thing is to not think that I cannot fall and to resolve to get up when I do fall. God loves me not because of what I do to please Him (for He is eternally self-sufficient and does not need anything from me), but He loves me because it is His very character to love and He is eternally faithful to those who have faith in Him and have been made new in His Son Jesus Christ.

I would also like to throw out some prayer requests
  • My prayer life to be passionate
  • My time in the Word of God to be purposeful
  • That I would be a testimony of Christ to the Junior High guys in the youth group I help out with
  • That I will practice spiritual discipline in grace
Now for some praises
  • As of now my tuition is fully paid for in excess of $9 through the generosity of friends, family, and my church!
  • This is a continual praise: I am so grateful that Bethany is here at NTBI!
Trust in Him at all times, you people;
Pour out your heart before Him:
God is a refuge for us.
-Psalm 62:8

2 comments:

Beth said...

Here is from my journal today. Hope it encourages you...

"I know that Dave (Dave Sr) loves me because he demonstrates his love for me in ways that I understand. He talks with me, he writes me notes that I can reference when I just don’t remember, he gives me reminders like toothpicks with a note ….he said that he is glad that I picked him. :)

This love reminds me of God’s love for me too. God demonstrated His love for my when He sent Jesus to die for my sins so I can have a relationship with Him. God demonstrated His love for me when he had some people from TCN church come and ask to take us to church and to VBS. Then when I understood His love for me ….He gave me His Word, the Bible, to read and to reference when I need to be reminded of His love for me. Then He sends me reminders like the birds coming to my feeders, or the sun, or a friend's note or hug or smile….or answering my prayers in such a way to show His love (not always yes…but always the right way) and He listens when I pray. He is a kind and just God who loves me.

I know that God loves me. He said so! And I am loved.

Now I need to love those around me. "

Unknown said...

Again, I enjoyed your blog. Everytime I read it, I get caught up in the story and then before I know it I'm struck in the heart. God is so good!